July 19, 2016

RECIPE: GAZPACHO / REFRESHING SPANISH TOMATO SOUP

If there is something the Spanish definitely know how to do it's food. Think of tapas, paella, patatas bravas... But my absolute favourite Spanish (actually Andalusian) dish is Gazpacho, a refreshing cold vegan tomato soup which is so easy and quick to make you will not want to make anything else anymore for the rest of the summer.


I have to admit: it does not look very nice. The colour is somehow not as red as it was when I was first trying the dish on a market in Ibiza, or again, when I basically lived of it during the hottest weeks while living in Barcelona but hey, never judge a book by its cover. Or a dish by its looks... I promise you it will taste a lot better.

Another thing: I have never used a recipe for it, (and the internet must be overflowing with them, I guess) but this is just how I make it, super easy and super changeable, however you like it.

Ingredients for 2-3 portions:
4-6 big, ripe tomatoes
1 cucumber
1 medium sized onion
1 piece of garlic
3-6 tbs. olive oil
some salt and pepper
ice cubes

Blend everything. 
Okay, I mean, chop the onion, garlic, tomatoes and cucumber, mix everything, blend it, add some olive oil (as much as you like, actually, I swear the Spanish use more olive oil than water so I bet there is quite a bit in that soup). Add some salt and pepper, if you like, and either place it in the fridge for a few hours, or if you really cannot wait just blend some ice cubes to make sure it's cold and refreshing. 

You can also vary a bit, add a bell pepper, some fresh herbs, a little bit of sugar, tomato paste... whatever you feel like. It's obviously not really filling and you might want to toast some bread with it (really recommend that!) but then again who is really hungry when it's 32 degrees outside and you're planning to spend the afternoon laying in you bikini and not moving an inch?

As weird as it sounds, cold soup is about the best thing you can have for lunch on a hot summer day (right after watermelon of course), it's also super easy to carry in a big thermos bottle and but I'm sure it also makes a nice light dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment